Re: [LandCafe] China - request for ideas on behalf of Professor Si YUAN, who is a member (Senator) of China National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee.

  • Jeffery J. Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10 3:01 PM
      On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:27 AM, Wetzel Dave wrote:

      > If anyone in the Land Café or the IU has any relevant points on
      > transport, transport funding using LVT or land issues generally that
      > do or could pertain to Beijing or the Chinese economy and which would
      > be useful for me to include - I'd welcome your comments in the next
      > few days.

      Remember my annotated bibliography? Lots of people find that useful.

      SMITH, Jeffery J.
      President, Forum on Geonomics
      jjs@...; www.geonomics.org
      Share Earth's worth to prosper and conserve.
    • Wetzel Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12 11:18 AM
        Re: China - request for ideas on behalf of Professor Si YUAN, who is a member (Senator) of China National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee.

        Hi David,
        You say:  "If any of the deligates [sic] to the has any balls [sic] (or the female equivalent) he/she should ask that the development of the transport system must return to the national economy what it takes from it in the form of land areas that are now unavailable for other purposes. An as a continuous thing this requires the payment of the ground-rent to the people for its occupation of the landed opportunities. Sun-Yet-Sen would surely have agreed with this approach."

        I don't think it is useful for those of us in the West to question whether "any delegate"  to a conference in China "has balls!"

        Whether in China, or any other country, we don't need delegates to "have balls" what we need is a campaign of education and enlightenment re the need to understand and advocate the collection of economic rent to fund both public services and to provide a peoples' land dividend.

        As it happens I was not the only speaker at this conference who advocated land value capture. A speaker from Japan and another speaker also raised the subject even though their references  were more associated with a Development Land Tax rather than Annual Land Value Tax as advocated by Georgists.

        Following a roundtable discussion at Tsinghua University in Beijing a Professor from London University, who is a transport expert and UK government adviser, and who was present but has never supported my advocacy of Annual Land Value Tax sent me this:

                From: "Wetzel Dave" <Davewetzel@...>
                To: <LandCafe@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:27:35 +0100

                I have just received the following email from Tsinghua University,  following my recent visit to China.

                It is a general invitation to about 20 delegates who enjoyed a roundtable discussion with about half-a-dozen Professors at the University.

                If anyone in the Land Café or the IU has any relevant points on transport, transport funding using LVT or land issues generally that do or could pertain to Beijing or the Chinese economy and which would be useful for me to include - I'd welcome your comments in the next few days.

                -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -   -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

                Dear Sir

                I am Dr. YANG in the Institute of Transportation Engineering, Tsinghua University.
                Thanks for your presence in the CPN Urban Transportation
                Congress and the conference in Tsinghua in Aug. 3rd. It is admirable for your impressive comments and suggestions for the traffic of Beijing in Olympics 2008.

                On behalf of Professor Si YUAN, who is a member (Senator) of China National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee and the Dean of school of Civil
                Engineering as well, I sincerely wish you could kindly provide me your ideas and suggestions about China's urban transportation on paper. Prof. YUAN would synthesis all your suggestions and comments, and contribute it to NPC Standing Committee.

                It would be appreciated if you could send me your opinion and another copy to my student Zheng Yanding who is in charge
                of this.

                Sincerely yours,

                        Yang Xinmiao
                Institute of Transportation Engineering