Land will get much scarcer

  • Paul Metz
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      What is scarce must be used as efficiently as possible. Price of land will sharply go up when nature is not sacrificed for plantations. LVT may have a positive effect.

      This article reminded me, it is from William Engdahl, with a Mark Twain quote we could use and is extra relevant at this time, while biofuels claim a huge additional landuse after oil supply will peak. The estimates for the year of world oil peak vary between 2005 and 2040, but it is clear that the high price and explosive fuel demand already boost demand for land.

      The manipulated definition of inflation in the USA - and I believe many other countries - keeps the general public uninformed on their purchasing power erosion due to Peak Oil.

      "Curiously, it's ominously similar in many respects to the early 1970s when prices for oil and food both exploded by several hundred percent in a matter of months. That mid-1970s price explosion led the late US president Richard Nixon to ask his old pal Arthur Burns, then chairman of the Federal Reserve, to find a way to alter the Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation data to take attention away from the rising prices.

      The result then was the now-commonplace publication of the absurd "core inflation" CPI numbers - sans oil and food.

      The late American satirist Mark Twain once quipped, "Buy land: They've stopped making it." Today we can say almost the same about corn, or all grains worldwide. The world is in the early months of the greatest sustained rise in prices for all major grains, including maize, wheat and rice, that we have seen in three decades. Those three crops constitute almost 90% of all grains cultivated in the world."

      Asia Times 1 August 2007
      F William Engdahl is author of the book Seeds of Destruction: The Hidden Agenda of Genetic Manipulation, about to be released by Global Research Publishing, and of A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order, Pluto Press. He may be reached via his website, www.engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net.

      Recommended reading for LVT marketeers.

      Paul Metz

                                                    INTEGeR... Consult

       Dr Paul E. Metz, Managing Consultant               Tel:       +31 26 362 04 50
       Stalen Enk 45                                                   Fax:      +31 84 222 41 38
       NL-6881 BN  Velp                                             Email: metz@...
       The Netherlands                                                URL: http://www.integer-consult.com

                                    Market intelligence for profitable green business

    • Roy Langston
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2007
        Using fuel to produce grain and then using the grain to produce fuel is self-evidently absurd. Until we see a farm running entirely and sustainably on the biofuel it produces, biofuel from grain cannot be considered anything but another scheme to rob the productive and shovel the money into landowners' pockets for doing nothing.

        Years ago, a friend told me she had bought a corn-burning stove to heat her house because it was cheaper than using electricity, fossil fuels, or wood -- and she lived not in the Corn Belt, but in a region of vast forests! I wondered at the time how far such insanity could go, and unfortunately, I doubt that we have yet seen its limit. I fear for my children when I reflect on the price it must ultimately exact.

      • Paul Metz
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
          Roy,

          Yes, LVT alone will not save the planet and our "civilization". To protect nature, also zoning is essential.

          Paul Metz