Physiocrates-George'sforrunners

  • Julien Gross
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2007
      Dear Fernando,
      I am resuming after much vexed brake--though mentally sustaining our
      dialogue on the never ending question of the necessity
      or even possibility of the symbiosis of the two cardinal ideologies
      of our time.
      So Marx had a great respect for the Physiocrates - and so he
      should, and so should we. I came across them
      when I was attempting to republish in French Progress and Poverty--
      and that is a 15 years saga to be dwelt on on another
      occasion.
      Though they were treated by Voltaire with irony in his book ''The
      man of 40 {shall we say} pounds''--they still remain
      the bright light of the French Enlightment of the18th. century. One
      could call them: The Precurseurs of Henry George,
      with the limitation of a distant past. It was them who coined the
      term :The Single Tax.

      They were a group of learned economists and philosophers set on
      reforming the antiquated,and they claimed, unjust system, leaving-
      particularly the working class of the day burdened with taxes and
      short of living necessities.Their organisation had
      their regular publication and was stimulating discussions in all kind
      of social circles, but primely aiming at high state placed persons
      near the king himself. And here, you will agree, lays the main cause
      of their historical failure.

      No sooner did I start--I am interrupting again. But this time for a
      valuable cause: to send you greetings and best wishes on
      the occasion of Bastille Day

      Julien Gross