Re: transport planning - time savings and land value increases arisi

  • Roy Langston
    Message 1 of 50 , May 9, 2007
      Harry Pollard wrote:

      >We have three objectives in collecting location advantage – >the value we call Rent:

      >1) Justice;

      >2) Economic Efficiency in land use;

      >3) Revenue.

      >Revenue is the least important of our objectives. Hence, my >‘Better to collect revenue and throw it in the sea than not >collect it at all.”
      IMO the least important of our objectives is efficiency, because that is where the least potential benefit is available. Remember, someone is _already_ collecting land rent: landowners.  And while their influence is neither consistent nor perfect, there can be little doubt that their uncomplicated desire for money stimulates a lot of productive use. That is why private enclosure of the commons produced gains in production: someone was finally collecting the rent.

      >However, it would not be just to throw it in the sea as it >belongs to the people who created it – the local community. >Justice requires they should get it back either as a dividend, >or by using it to pay for the infrastructure of the city.
      I assume that means services as well, not just physical infrastructure.

      >So, where is the National land-value to tax? It has all gone to >support the city. There is nothing left.
      There is no reason to think so. Certainly none has been offered.

      >But, there will be no local surplus available for national >government after complete local collection of land Rent.
      Yes, there will.

      >So, why do we think there will be?
      Because there will.

      >I rather suspect that most legislation at higher levels of all >governments is designed to alleviate the damage created by >the basic land problem.

      Bingo.

      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 18, 2007

        Well said!

        Harry