Re: [LandCafe] Draft Land Reform Bill

  • scottb@xmission.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2004
      I hope y'all don't mind. That post came through to me in a nearly illegible
      format. I'm reposting it just so we can read it easily.

      Scott

      Quoting Gerrard Winstanley <tony@...> on 11 Sep 2004 23:08:13
      -0000:

      What with all the talk and slow progress of land reform in Scotland I
      thought it worthwhile publishing my very simple and non-legalistic ideas
      for an Act of Parliament for the whole UK to bring about fundamental land
      reform and the sweeping social justice that would come with the UK
      population regaining free access to land to live on. This would probably
      bring about a collapse on the ridiculously inflated market in houses but -
      as most of that fantasy market is fictional mortgage money that would be no
      bad thing, bringing about the collapse of most of the UK's private banking
      system. Phew!

      Sorry to disappoint LVT fans but you'll find no reference to taxing peasants
      here simply 'cos I think its a very bad idea.

      Tony Gosling

      Citizen's land security bill
      http://www.public-interest.co.uk/manor/landreformbill.rtf

      Citizen's land security bill
      September 2004 - Tony Gosling - The Land Is Ours/Ecovillage Network UK

      10-12 Picton Street. Montpelier, Bristol, BS6 5QA ? 0117 944 6219

      Object:

      To begin the process of returning the land in the UK to the people to whom
      it rightly belongs.

      Methodology:

      Given that land ? and its associated rights - is a free gift to mankind as a
      whole ? not to particular individuals, this legislation will begin the
      process of divesting particular individual and corporate freeholders of
      title to excessive amounts of that land and distributing it fairly to
      whoever amongst the poorest in the land wishes to have it

      Current situation:

      With roughly 10% of the population of the UK owning 95% of the land many
      ordinary people are entirely without security ? the strain on current
      housing stock means prices are spiralling out of all realistic measure of a
      home's actual worth and the need for more homes is only being restrained by
      a draconian development control system.

      Historical models:

      There are two historical models which will be referred to throughout this
      bill, both occurring in and around the 1880s in the British Isles. Firstly
      the handing over of title to land in Ireland to impoverished tenants
      through a series of acts of parliament culminating in the Wyndham Acts.
      Secondly the enshrining in British law the customary practices of the
      Scottish crofters through the Royal Commission into the grievances of the
      Crofters and the subsequent Crofting Act.

      Powerful landed interests:

      Human beings can be particularly nasty and graspingly territorial when it
      comes to the idea of controlling or owning land. Dirty tricks and
      underhanded tactics to dilute or stop such a bill progressing through to
      legal enactment must be expected and allowed for. At all times it must be
      explained to landowners affected by this and subsequent bills that their
      land is held from the crown ? it is not their own ? and that in almost
      every case has been gained historically in various unethical ways including
      as a crude 'reward' for bloodshed.

      Stages of the bill

      1. The setting up of a land commission of 12 individuals with a proven track
      record in land rights and a UK government ministry of land with the task of
      ensuring that all Britain's citizens have access to land.

      2. The identification by the commission of Britain's top 10 individual and
      corporate landowners and the opening by the ministry of a list of
      individuals in various degrees of housing need to take part in the land
      resettlement programme. These individual will be prioritised by a points
      system similar to that used on local authority housing lists.

      3. The organising of people in the land resettlement list into clusters of
      like-minded individuals and the setting up of individual workers
      co-operatives using the same rules of succession and land management as in
      the Crofting Acts. Each Ecovillage will contain a proportion of at least
      50% of the land as collectively managed but ideally more like 90%
      collectively managed.

      4. The selection by the commission of 10% of large landowners' land for
      reclaiming by the crown (the current ultimate landowner) into the crown
      estates.

      5. The appointment by the commission of a further group of 7 experts in
      Permaculture, Bioregionalism, alternative technology and low-impact land
      use to divide reclaimed crown land into areas which can readily support
      between 500 and 1000 people with a density of roughly ¼ acre per
      individual. This 'Ecovillage commission' will designate particular areas as
      'village centres' and arrange for the building of large meeting halls. They
      will also clear and landscaping rail/roadways to be completed by the
      villagers themselves.

      6. The transfer of freehold from the crown estates to the new co-operatives
      and the apportioning of interest free land ministry loans repayable over at
      least 80 years to build on granted land.

      The Land Is Ours - http://www.tlio.org.uk/
      Ecovillage Network UK - http://www.evnuk.org.uk/ Ecovillage Network UK -
      http://www.evnuk.org.uk/
      ---