FW: [diggers350] Re: LVT - universally applied nonsense

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2004
      From: Ole Lefmann [mailto:olefmann@...]
      Sent: 12 September 2004 21:49
      To: Wetzel Dave
      Subject: RE: [diggers350] Re: LVT - universally applied nonsense

      Hi Dave,

      Would this be af any interest?

      HISTORY

      The ideas of Henry George arrived into Denmark late in the 19th century; but
      the support to the ideas did not rise until in the beginning of the 20th
      century the big landed interests politically introduced the idea to abolish
      the existing 'hartkorn'-tax.

      This tax was a very old land-value-tax levied on the yielding capacity of
      land, but in those days levied only on agricultural land. If that tax should
      be abolished it would of course be to the advantage of the owners of
      agricultural land who would then be able to withhold and use for their own
      benefit the unearned income of their land.

      People in common would not receive anything of the income of land; on the
      contrary as they had always done they would still have to pay for use of
      land whatever it was for labour or for living; but without the hartkorn-tax
      they would in the future have to pay taxes for the common good that
      previously had been defrayed by the revenue of the hartkorn-tax.

      In the year 1902 Danish smallholders claimed that in the future the public
      budgets should be covered by a land-value-tax on all land (not only
      agricultural land) instead of the proposed income tax. That was expressed
      2nd November 1902 in the Danish town Køge, in a resolution called the
      KØGE-RESOLUTIONEN:

      "Because the Smallholding as an independent operational enterprise exerts
      the best way of agricultural production, most advantageous both for the
      society and for the individual, and therefore is expected to become the most
      common (and in the future maybe the only) form of agriculture in Denmark,
      the development of the conditions of the Smallholders cannot in general be
      build on support from the public chest or on favourable exceptions, but only
      on the full acknowledgement of the legal status of the Estate of
      Smallholders on a level even to all other classes in the society.

      "Therefore, the Estate of the Smallholders claims no specific advantages for
      Smallholders in the tax laws, like abolishing of general land taxes and
      tithe existing at the moment of buying the land and thus deducting the
      price; such abolition of burdens would only benefit the present landowners,
      and of these only the great landowners, reducing the common fortune of the
      society and creating loss for the class of necessitous.

      "On the contrary the Estate of Smallholders claims: soonest possible
      abolition of all tariffs and taxes levied on goods, such as food, clothes,
      furniture, accessories, tools, engines, raw materials and wages. Such
      burdens unjustly rest on the labour in the small homes.

      "The Estate of Smallholders claims in stead that the public budget is
      covered by a tax on the value of land, which is not created by any
      individual but created by the growth and development of society, piles up in
      great cities and unearned falls to private speculators in stead of being
      collected by the national or local public chests. Such burdens shall not
      burden labour, but on the contrary make the land cheaper thereby easing the
      access for every man to establish his own home."

      The resolution concludes:

      "The Smallholders' assembly in Køge encourages all other organisations in
      the country to support this program in the current discussions on taxes and
      encourages the political parties that want the support of the Smallholders
      to work for the adoption of these claims into the programs of the political
      parties and their passing on to Danish law under the present negotiations in
      the Danish Parliament on a tax reform."

      The proclamation passed unanimously!

      Beast regards
      Ole