RE: [LandCafe] Ecological Economics Conference

  • Edward Dodson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      Bill, you wrote:

      So, I have agreed to do my best to assemble some panels. This would
      introduce to a wider number of Ecol Econs something of our Georgist
      philosophy.

      I'd be grateful for your responses as soon as you can come up with your
      preferences.

      Ed here:
      A theme I find attractive is the reduction of the human footprint by
      stimulating the revitalization of fully functioning communities (i.e.,
      places where people can safely live, work and enjoy leisure without reliance
      on the automobile, and where sustainability is an integral feature of both
      public and private infrastructure.
    • Jeffery J. Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
        On Oct 29, 2006, at 7:35 PM, geoist@... wrote:

        > The best ideas I can come up with for panels are
        > 1. Natural Resources as both Commons and Privatized through Georgist
        > Economics
        > a. Property as a “bundle of rights.”
        > b. The dimensions of “the commons”
        > c. Pricing and rent collection
        >
        > 2. The Moral Dimensions of Georgist Economics and Ecological Economics
        > a. Distributive Justice
        > b. Protecting and Preserving the Future
        > c. Relieving pressure on natural resources
        >
        > But perhaps others have other equally attractive ideas.

        The SEE people had gotten into talking about people wasting their lives
        in economic pursuits, so how sharing rent solves the time famine might
        interest them.

        Many economists are as much accountant as theorist so a comparison of
        the flow of rent, size-wise, to wages and interest should intrigue.

        Maybe we could finally get Bobby Kennedy involved to talk about one of
        the biggest overlooked parts of the puzzle and that's public revenue
        policy, specifically subsidies and tax breaks rewarding eco-ploitation.
        Bobby doesn't address the solution but he does articulate the problem
        and lives in New York.

        A model the EE people constantly refer to is economy as ecosystem, as
        did ol' HG. Getting into the specifics of that metaphor might enthrall
        many of them.

        SMITH, Jeffery J.
        President, Forum on Geonomics
        jjs@...; www.geonomics.org
        Share Earth's worth to prosper and conserve.
      • Jeffery J. Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
          On Oct 30, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Edward Dodson wrote:

          > Ed here:
          > A theme I find attractive is the reduction of the human footprint by
          > stimulating the revitalization of fully functioning communities (i.e.,
          > places where people can safely live, work and enjoy leisure without
          > reliance on the automobile, and where sustainability is an integral
          > feature of both public and private infrastructure.

          Me, too. Our "footprint" is largely our "tire track". People cure
          themselves of their addiction to cars where land use is for muscle
          power, and land use makes sense where all uses of land pay full value
          for their exclusive use.