One of the mavens here needs to respond to this:

  • walterhorn
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2013
      http://blog.journeyman.cc/2013/12/restating-case-against-land-value-tax.html

      Thanks!

    • ssbaker305
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7, 2013
        I tried to comment, but the subwindow comes up blank for me.

        Well, I don't know how much this obscure blog even gets read, but it seems to me he is basically setting up a straw man argument that the rich will sue/bribe/harass the poor assessors into giving up land taxes, while the poor cannot afford to pursue such options.
        First of all, and this ought to be obvious, the rich have more opportunity to do this sort of thing already, and even more so because of the byzantine nature of the current tax system.  You need a complex web of taxes in order to find loopholes in it.  That's why the rich love complicated tax systems, despite lip service for "tax simplification."  Second, if the county is at all intelligent and honest, they will see that letting large landholders manipulate the system hurts their ability to collect the just rent, and much more than the poor landholder can make up for.
        Of course we need honest assessors, etc. but LVT is a lot cleaner that way than the current system, and land is a lot easier to value than income (which this example posits is stored offshore as well, by the rich fellow).
        This is really a spurious argument and unless this blog gets more attention than I think it does, not worthy of much response - even if the technical problems in doing so - apparently for everyone - are cleared up.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 7, 2013
          Thanks for trying, Scott. I made much the same points in my comment.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2013
            ---In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, <ssbaker305@...> wrote:

            > I tried to comment, but the subwindow comes up blank for me.

            Don't sweat it, Scott.  I've demolished and humiliated him.

            -- Roy Langston

          • Wyn Achenbaum
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2013
              Winning friends and influencing people?

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2013

                ---In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, <wyn@...> wrote:

                > Winning friends and influencing people?

                Yes.  Just not him.

                -- Roy Langston
              • Scott Bergeson
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2013
                  Quoting roy_langston@... on 07 Dec 2013 18:38:10 -0800:

                  ___W calhorn___
                  http://blog.journeyman.cc/2013/12/restating-case-against-land-value-tax.html

                  Thanks!

                  ___SSBaker___
                  I tried to comment, but the subwindow comes up blank for me.

                  Well, I don't know how much this obscure blog even gets read,
                  but it seems to me he basically set up a straw man argument;
                  the rich will sue/bribe/harass the poor assessors into giving up
                  land taxes, while the poor cannot afford to pursue such options.

                  First of all, and this ought to be obvious, the rich have more
                  opportunity to do this sort of thing already, and even more so
                  because of the byzantine nature of the current tax system. You
                  need a complex web of taxes in order to find loopholes in it.
                  Why the rich love complicated tax systems, despite lip service
                  for "tax simplification". Second, if the county be at all
                  intelligent and honest, they will see letting large landholders
                  manipulate the system hurt their ability to collect the just
                  rent, and much more than the poor landholder can make up for.

                  Of course we need honest assessors, etc. but LVT is
                  a lot cleaner that way than the current system, and
                  land is a lot easier to value than income (which this
                  example posits the rich fellow store offshore, as well).

                  This is really a spurious argument, and unless this
                  blog get more attention than I think it does, not
                  worthy of much response - even if the technical problems
                  in doing so - apparently for everyone - be cleared up.

                  ___Roy Langston___
                  Don't sweat it, Scott. I've demolished and humiliated him.

                  ___Wyn Achenbaum___
                  Winning friends and influencing people?

                  ___Roy Langston___
                  Yes. Just not him.
                  -----

                  While tedious, Simon Brooke more than deserved demolition
                  and humiliation. He did that idiocy for Andy Wightman?
                  http://www.andywightman.com/docs/LVTREPORT.pdf
                  No mention of Simon there! (Unless find have failed.)
                  More of unwise Simon's idiocy:
                  http://blog.journeyman.cc/2013/06/against-land-value-tax.html
                  At the latter site, Andy actually said:

                  Andy Wightman
                  5 months ago

                  "Simon, an interesting article, but I think you dismiss LVT for
                  the wrong reasons. LVT (or properly LRV - Land Rental Value) is
                  equivalent to what classical economists call "economic rent". This
                  can be calculated quite easily - as it is in many countries like
                  Australia and Denmark. It is not correct to claim, "The land value
                  tax on 10,000 hectares of remote highland estate is precisely
                  nil." Crudely, you can calculate economic rent from the capital
                  value. For example, a large estate is for sale in Perthshire
                  for offers over £8 million. About 80% of this is land value (the
                  rest being the value of improvements on which LRV is not levied).
                  The rental value of a £6 million asset at a 6% rate of return is
                  £360,000 - annual LRV is charged at 100% That's enough to make
                  most buyers think twice about why they buy such land and, in the
                  longer term, to eliminate the speculative value in the estate."

                  I think whoever really puts Simon up to this should demand his money back.

                  Also, interesting this thread is full of Yiddishisms -
                  "maven" is Yiddish for "m'binah" (nexus of understanding),
                  and of course they, along with the Jesuits, such as
                  Charles du Fresne, sieur du Cange, rather dislike the
                  Byzantine Empire. (Not all that admirable, however. For
                  example, it had a particularly odious incomes and occu-
                  pations tax, the chrysargyron. While it had direct land
                  tax, though I don't know how determined; value, rental,
                  or other, that had unreasonable exemptions; it also had a
                  fixed tax on family units, the kapnikon, a tax on hearths.)
                • walterhorn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2013
                    I used "maven" in the title and Scott gets from that "this thread is full of Yiddishisms"?

                    I won't say out loud what Scott has made this thread full of. As it's generally his main interest in life, nobody will need me to say it out loud.

                  • walterhorn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2013
                      Great job, Roy!  I especially enjoyed this:

                      "Why not make the “argument” even clearer? Alice keeps a single cow, which she milks herself, and sells the milk for a profit of two bob a year. The LVT is eleventy-leven million billion kajillion quid per second. Satisfied?"

                      LOL!
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2013

                        ---In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, <scottb@...> wrote:

                        > More of unwise Simon's idiocy:
                        http://blog.journeyman.cc/2013/06/against-land-value-tax.html

                        Duly demolished and humiliated.

                        > Also, interesting this thread is full of Yiddishisms -

                        Oy veh!

                        -- Roy Langston
                      • walterhorn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2013
                          The new, improved, ad-friendly yahoo groups site being what it is, I can't see whatever is that Roy posted today at 2:37 PM.

                        • ssbaker305
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 9, 2013
                            Scott who?
                          • walterhorn
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 9, 2013

                              The guy who is at all times oh-so-concerned about Yiddishims, Scott Bergeson.