Re: Quote

  • Scott on the Spot
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2013
      I once asked Mark Sullivan of RSF about that and he said publishing
      records are murky, but still it looks like it was #2 after the bible at
      the time, and still sells well (good for RSF).
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" wrote:

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" burns-john@ wrote:
      >
      > "Progress & Poverty being the best selling book after the bible"
      >
      > I believe that claim is apocryphal. No doubt Mao did considerably
      better (although I don't know about "selling"). Carnegie too, I'll bet.

      > Maybe the best selling 19th-Century economics book originally written
      in English?

    • Wyn Achenbaum
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2013
        My impression is that in the 1880 to 1900 period, P&P was the #2 bestseller, second only to the Bible.   This would include the books and the serialized versions.    It was serialized in Truth, and by Lovells, and perhaps others.

        Wyn

        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2013

          On the other hand  .  .  .  .  .

          Carl Boode was in top management at a large aerospace firm. He was also Chair of the Henry George School of Los Angeles.

          The managers have their own place to eat. At lunch with some others the discussion got round to housing. Another manager said he thought the way to tackle problems was Henry George’s land-value tax.

          Carl said he was flabbergasted. He had known the man for 20 years and had never known he was a Georgist.

          I wonder how many other inactive Georgists there are out there, those who believe in George’s philosophy, but who don’t think activity is particularly practical?

          Walt Rybeck of Washington DC once said that when the chips are down Georgists will come out of the woodwork everywhere. I wonder whether he was right. An indication in the UK would be people you never knew about joining in your battle.

          Harry

          The Alumni Group

          Henry George School

          Of Los Angeles