George Monbiot Guardian article 1 April 2013

  • Dave Wetzel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 2:54 AM
      Thanks to Henry Law for drawing my attention to this excellent article.
      Of course LVT and a Citizens' Dividend (Citizens Land Dividend?) are not mutually exclusive - if we use land rent to:
      1. Pay for most Government Services by replacing most taxes on production eg income tax, vat and sales taxes, stamp duty, taxes on buildings etc.
      2. Pay-off the national debt

         Dave Wetzel

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 9:37 AM

        Dave,

        Am I correct that LVT is scheduled to be debated in Parliament this month?

        Harry

        ***********************

        The Alumni Group

        Henry George School

        Of Los Angeles

        Tujunga  CA  91042

        (818) 352-4141

        ***********************

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 4:07 AM

          Cheers Harry,

          Caroline's Bill has been for second reading twice before Nov 2012, March 2013 but the previous Bill was talked out by Tory MPs on both occasions thus deferring any debate.
          Together with the Coalition for Economic Justice we went to visit Caroline to discuss the Bill and since then a member of The Professional Land Reform Group (which I Chair) has helped her office write the full Bill with background notes.
          Latest news on the Land Value Tax Bill 2012-13

          The sponsoring MP has nominated 26 April 2013 for the second reading. As the House is not expected to sit on this day it is unlikely to be debated on this date. The sponsoring MP may choose another day for the second reading.

          This Bill was presented to Parliament on 25 June 2012. This is known as the first reading and there was no debate on the Bill at this stage.

          Summary of the Land Value Tax Bill 2012-13

          A bill to require the Secretary of State to commission a programme of research into the merits of replacing the Council Tax and Non-domestic rates in England with an annual levy on the unimproved value of all land, including transitional arrangements; to report to Parliament within 12 months of completion of the research; and for connected purposes

             Dave Wetzel

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6 10:17 AM

            Thanks, Dave!

            Harry