Re: From Today's Boston Globe

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 199 , Mar 1, 2013
      > > Anyway, I've lived homeless in treehouses as a hippie in the rainforest or with little cash, out
      > > of an old car, eating from wild fruit trees, showering or swimming in public amenities and
      > > spending my days pottering in libraries & museums, playing the pipes with chicks down at the creek
      > > ... no probs ... better than being a barrister
      >
      > So, because you chose that lifestyle and found it congenial, no one who has been forced into it against their will has any legitimate grievance?

      This is where I loose my temper. A leftie/greenie friend recently travelled one of the poorest countries in the world, Congo, GDP in the couple of hundreds. War-torn, corrupt government, checkpoints everywhere, little possibility of bringing anything to the market. He felt bad they didn't have health-care, welfare etc., but he did remarked how free they seemed, they could pick vegetables down from the trees, and build their houses in a day collectively! I've not wanted to punch a person in the face as much, at least not this side of the new year.

      Kj
      Message 199 of 199 , Mar 5, 2013

        > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" <roy_langston@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > So you are saying that the existence of the Flat Earth Society DOES make the spheroidal shape of the earth disputable?
        > >
        > > My degree of confidence is roughly the same as that in my above judgment regarding your personality. Put it this way: is it possible I'm wrong about either the shape of the earth or your arrogance? Sure, I could be wrong about pretty much every proposition that seems obvious to me--that is the nature of human fallibility. But it's really, really doubtful in both cases.
        >
        > So you claim the earth's spheroidal shape is not only disputable, but about as disputable as your opinion of my personality?

        Right. Both almost surely true.

        > "A sick man dreams nothing so dreadful that some philosopher isn't saying it." -- Marcus Terentius Varro
        >
        > -- Roy Langston

        And the truths find there way in there too!