RE: [LandCafe] Re: 70% of oil price is speculation

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2013

      Scott,

      People don’t understand “rent collection” but they do understand taxes. Hence the Single Tax. However, we should understand that collecting rent is not a tax. It’s really a charge. You want $100 land – you pay $100. You want $1,000 land, You pay $1,000.

      In similar fashion, you don’t heavily tax oil to stop speculation. The oil belongs to us (or should) and what the drillers pay for is the right to extract the oil. (This can be established by bidding.)

      Speculators are an important part of the free market and shouldn’t be unjustly criticized. The easiest way to keep oil prices down is to build another refinery or two. However, NIMBY is a problem (Not In My Back Yard). Also, politicians are reluctant to pursue such building. One needs little imagination to guess why.

      In California, our gas prices are hovering around $5 a gallon. Our Sacramento idiots even added sales tax to gas! Meantime, our refineries are partly closed down.

      Oh, well.

      Harry