Re: Legitimate LVT criticism

  • mattbieker
    Message 1 of 199 , Feb 28, 2013
      Also, I'm sure everyone's probably aware, but Huxley was a geoist. He specifically mentions George his the foreward to the second edition of "A Brave New World."

      http://www.wealthandwant.com/auth/Huxley.html

      As an aside, I read long ago about that mention, but I'd largely forgotten it. A year or so ago, I was reading a book that was contrasting ABNW and 1984; I hadn't read the former in many years, so I decided to re-read it. Conveniently, I had an old paperback copy in my possession, so I picked it up and started reading. And sure enough, it included the foreward to the second edition. Though I was dimly aware of its contents, it was cool to stumble upon it randomly without thinking about it.

      While I'm bringing up George references, I guess here's a good place to mention that I was reading Chrystia Freeland's "Plutocrats" recently, and was pleasantly surprised that she referenced George several times. There's a mention early on (in the preface?), and then there's a detailed account of his life and rise to fame to start one of the chapters. Disappointingly, there's never any real endorsement of the LVT in the book, but many people did read it, and hopefully a few will be motivated to further seek his work.

      Message 199 of 199 , Mar 5 4:00 AM

        > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" <roy_langston@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > So you are saying that the existence of the Flat Earth Society DOES make the spheroidal shape of the earth disputable?
        > >
        > > My degree of confidence is roughly the same as that in my above judgment regarding your personality. Put it this way: is it possible I'm wrong about either the shape of the earth or your arrogance? Sure, I could be wrong about pretty much every proposition that seems obvious to me--that is the nature of human fallibility. But it's really, really doubtful in both cases.
        >
        > So you claim the earth's spheroidal shape is not only disputable, but about as disputable as your opinion of my personality?

        Right. Both almost surely true.

        > "A sick man dreams nothing so dreadful that some philosopher isn't saying it." -- Marcus Terentius Varro
        >
        > -- Roy Langston

        And the truths find there way in there too!