Re: Legitimate LVT criticism

    Message 1 of 199 , Feb 24, 2013

      > OTOH, I continue to think that babies (even those who precociously hunt, farm, and translate Swahili) are not entitled to to full exemptions, and the view that they are is itself a religious tenet that should be scrapped (and repeatedly ridiculed).

      It's self-evidently and indisputably not religious, as there is no metaphysical element involved.

      Note that the Alaska citizens' dividends, the BC carbon tax credit, the "Fair"Tax "prebate," and the Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax credits ALL extend to all resident citizens, including those under 18 (all of whom Walter insists on calling, "babies" for some inexplicable reason), with a few exceptions (e.g., Alaska does not grant its dividend to convicted felons, etc.). The universal individual income tax exemption also extends to minors (right down to "babies"), though the amount is typically less for them; it is often also less for dependent adults, including spouses (so is Walter going to go there, too?).

      The people who successfully got these universal dividends, credits, and exemptions implemented in the real world might understand something about equality and political feasibility that Walter does not understand.

      Message 199 of 199 , Mar 5, 2013

        > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" <roy_langston@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > So you are saying that the existence of the Flat Earth Society DOES make the spheroidal shape of the earth disputable?
        > >
        > > My degree of confidence is roughly the same as that in my above judgment regarding your personality. Put it this way: is it possible I'm wrong about either the shape of the earth or your arrogance? Sure, I could be wrong about pretty much every proposition that seems obvious to me--that is the nature of human fallibility. But it's really, really doubtful in both cases.
        >
        > So you claim the earth's spheroidal shape is not only disputable, but about as disputable as your opinion of my personality?

        Right. Both almost surely true.

        > "A sick man dreams nothing so dreadful that some philosopher isn't saying it." -- Marcus Terentius Varro
        >
        > -- Roy Langston

        And the truths find there way in there too!