Re: [LandCafe] Labour goes for a Mansion Tax

  • Jock Coats
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
      I appear to be alone amongst my Lib Dem contacts in believing the Mansion Tax to be worse than useless in heralding a proper LVT.

      It will be seen as a tax on aspiration. The benefits of LVT are not primarily in revenue raising, which the Mansion Tax unashamedly is, but in the beneficial effects of a low rent economy. THis will do nothing to demonstrate those benefits and everything to make people think that any further proposal for LVT is simply about raising more money.

      Far better, since Vince is in charge of the relevant department, and it is party manifesto policy, and the existing tax it would replace badly needs reforming, would be to replace National Non-Domestic Rate with Site Value Rating.

      And doubly good - far better than giving Mary Portas thousands of pounds for her committees to dress up as cartoon characters to revive the high street.

      --
      Jock Coats
      Warden's Flat 1e, J Block Morrell Hall, OXFORD, OX3 0FF
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > The Labour party have come out in support of a mansion tax if they will the next election in 2 years time. It proposes taxing properties worth £2m a yearly tax of around 1%.

        All properties, or only residences ("mansions")? If it doesn't tax vacant land, it's worse than useless.

        -- Roy Langston
      • Jock Coats
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
          On 16 Feb 2013, at 17:42, "roy_langston" <roy_langston@...> wrote:

          > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
          >
          > > The Labour party have come out in support of a mansion tax if they will the next election in 2 years time. It proposes taxing properties worth £2m a yearly tax of around 1%.
          >
          > All properties, or only residences ("mansions")? If it doesn't tax vacant land, it's worse than useless.

          It is. Worse than useless I mean.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
            Well said!