Re: A feature film on Henry George.

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

      > '"George"
      >
      > A screenplay by Charles Ashira and Stephen Gottlieb.

      Best of luck to them; but frankly, I've always thought Turgot's life would make a much better movie. You've got the actual implementation that succeeded brilliantly in Limosges; Louis XV's attempt to achieve the same result for all France by appointing Turgot minister of finance; the court intrigue, conspiracy, and phony "food riots" that bring Turgot down; and then the denouement: the French Revolution that annihilates the greedy, evil parasites who stopped Turgot from rescuing them from their own greed.

      Whatever happened to that earlier project about LVT's success in Venice, and the collapse when it was abandoned? ISTR there was quite an effective trailer narrated by Alan Rickman.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" wrote:

        > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
        >
        > > '"George"
        > >
        > > A screenplay by Charles Ashira and Stephen Gottlieb.
        >
        > Best of luck to them; but frankly, I've always thought Turgot's life would make a much better movie.

        Roy, the further back in time the less people think it is relevant to today. The last great land taxer was Henry George. George has been erased from mainstream history, which adds to the mystique of why?
      • k_r_johansen
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
          --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

          > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
          > >
          > > > '"George"
          > > >
          > > > A screenplay by Charles Ashira and Stephen Gottlieb.
          > >
          > > Best of luck to them; but frankly, I've always thought Turgot's life would make a much better movie.
          > >

          > Roy, the further back in time the less people think it is relevant to today. The last great land taxer was Henry George. George has been erased from mainstream history, which adds to the mystique of why?

          In the economics field, it's pretty obvious why he has been put on the shelves, the whole concept of economic rent is to this day being fought against. In the wider context, I don't think there has been any conspiracy at work, we've just been busy with the whole left vs. right, economic illiteracy vs. maintaining privileges and special interest, -thing. Spiced with a bit of nazism and fascism...

          What role does Ewan McGregor have in this though?

          Kj
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
            --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "k_r_johansen" wrote:

            > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" wrote:

            > > > Best of luck to them; but frankly, I've always thought Turgot's life would make a much better movie.
            > > >

            > > Roy, the further back in time the less people think it is relevant to today. The last great land taxer was Henry George. George has been erased from mainstream history, which adds to the mystique of why?
            > >

            > In the economics field, it's pretty obvious why he has been put on the shelves, the whole concept of economic rent is to this day being fought against. In the wider context, I don't think there has been any conspiracy at work, we've just been busy with the whole left vs. right, economic illiteracy vs. maintaining privileges and special interest, -thing. Spiced with a bit of nazism and fascism...
            >
            > What role does Ewan McGregor have in this though?
            >
            > Kj

            I take it McGregor is somebody's fantasy casting choice--as is Jude Law. Zach Galifianokos actually looks more the part, though.

            Also, George wasn't really a land taxer, was he? He was a land taxer wannabe--like us. How about Kerensky? Did his Provisional Gov't actually levy some land value taxes--or just talk about doing so?

          • David Reed
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
              Be  realistic .This is just a script in development:by an advertising outfit thats made some Public Service announcements for TV .
              Jude Law and Ewan McGregor were cited as TYPES  for the title role not as cast members.

              To: LandCafe@yahoogroups.com
              From: calhorn@...
              Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:19:41 +0000
              Subject: [LandCafe] Re: A feature film on Henry George.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, David Reed wrote:

                > Be realistic .This is just a script in development:by an advertising outfit thats made some Public Service announcements for TV .
                > Jude Law and Ewan McGregor were cited as TYPES for the title role not as cast members.

                Exactly. That's what I meant by "fantasy casting choice."

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                  --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

                  > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" wrote:
                  >
                  > > Best of luck to them; but frankly, I've always thought Turgot's life would make a much better movie.
                  >
                  > Roy, the further back in time the less people think it is relevant to today.

                  I don't agree with that assessment at all. If the parallels are drawn clearly, people can see the relevance -- which is why Shakespeare's plays about Roman history were and are so relevant.

                  The parallels of our current age with France's ancien regime and the looming disaster of the Revolution and Bonapartism are much more piquant than the parallels with George's time, when huge amounts of land had recently been made available, slavery had recently been abolished, state and local governments were already getting substantial revenue from land-based taxes, etc.

                  > The last great land taxer was Henry George.

                  But the FIRST great land taxer was Turgot -- and Henry George never actually implemented a land tax anywhere. Turgot did.

                  Sorry, John, but Henry George's story just isn't good cinema. Turgot's could be _great_ cinema, as well as a thundering lesson on the need for LVT to stave off a civilization-ending economic disaster in our times.

                  > George has been erased from mainstream history, which adds to the mystique of why?

                  So has Turgot, and he was a far more important figure than George. Turgot was the man who put the physiocrats on the map, laid the foundations of classical economics, and taught Adam Smith about laissez faire. He was also France's minister of finance at a time when France was the largest economy in Europe -- more powerful than the US Treasury Secretary and Fed chairman combined.

                  I have explained the cinematic potential of Turgot's story. Where is the cinematic potential of Henry George's story? There's just nothing to look at: no suspense, no violence, no romantic triangle, no heroism, no big story, no starving children or mistreated animals, no royal court pageantry, no intrigue and treason in high places, no nothing.

                  Help me out, here.

                  -- Roy Langston
                • David Reed
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2013
                    @Walto
                    Apologies.My comments were directed at some of the excited chatter;  I was  trying to reinforce your warnings about "fantasy casting".

                    To: LandCafe@yahoogroups.com
                    From: calhorn@...
                    Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:25:40 +0000

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
                      Henry George the Movie - trailer

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzrNAs5Cysw
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
                        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...> wrote:

                        > Henry George the Movie - trailer
                        >
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzrNAs5Cysw

                        IMO they need to focus group the hell out of that sucker.