[Intertax] draft agenda for Latin America conference

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2006
      You are now addressing a different question Paul.

      1. You ask "Can we first decide what each of us would consider a success?"

      I have given my answer re the World stage but do not disagree with Julian's answer which restricts itself to the Labour Party in the UK.

      2. You now state: ".When we have more votes, perhaps one common ideal and, most important, a strategy with realistic first steps can be imagined."

      This suggests a different question, namely: "What is the stategy for achieving 1 above?"

      I have tried to answer this in the context of the UK in my paper "Bridging the Gap" and similarly Jerry Jones has answered it in his recent excellent Labour Land Campaign paper which he has submitted to LEAP (the UK's Left Economic Advisory Panel).

      The Professional Land Reform Group has also held a consultancy session with Michael O'Cock to determine the steps we need to take to get LVT adopted. We decided a realistic target was to get LVT into the major parties' manifestos for the next general election. (One of the results of this has been to organise two fringe meetings at this year's Labour Party annual conference. Also, quite separate to this - the Bow Group in the Conservative Party has published Mark Wadsworth's paper on an LVT housing tax and Tony Vickers continues his sterling work on trying to get the Liberal Democrats to include Site Value Rating in their next manifesto).

      If be interested to read the work of others on the strategy/tactics we should employ to achieve Annual Land Value Tax .
      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL