Re: OT -New paper on Patents

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 8, 2013
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "roy_langston" wrote:

      > I don't see anything wrong with either of them. We pay a great deal of tax money to safeguard our rights through the military. It would seem justified to spend a microscopic fraction of that amount on safeguarding our rights by keeping the voting public informed. You'd just need to make the public funding of news reporting independent of political control. That could be achieved by paying publicly employed journalists strictly according to their popularity, as measured by downloads from unique addresses, periodic surveys of readers, etc. There are technological fixes for such problems.

      If in doubt, apply vouchers. I have proposed reforming our governments existing media-subsidies in a relatively simple way. Divide the budget up into a per-capita amount (one should do this with all spending items, if anything as just an exercise), and allow every voter to direct their funding to one/several qualifying institutions (has editorial content, no paywall-websites) of their choice. The undecided ones will be distributed according to the distribution of preferences of those who vote.

      Kj
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 8, 2013
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "k_r_johansen" wrote:

        > If in doubt, apply vouchers. I have proposed reforming our governments existing media-subsidies in a relatively simple way. Divide the budget up into a per-capita amount (one should do this with all spending items, if anything as just an exercise), and allow every voter to direct their funding to one/several qualifying institutions (has editorial content, no paywall-websites) of their choice. The undecided ones will be distributed according to the distribution of preferences of those who vote.

        Ah, another good solution. Even the people who actually spend their own time looking at kittens up trees will typically _vote_ for hard-hitting political journalism over kitten-up-tree stories -- a case of "Do as I say, not as I do." I can offer a personal mea culpa: I have OFTEN caught myself looking at celebrity gossip web pages that made me think, "Why would anyone put such stupid, shallow junk on the Net? Don't people have anything better to do than look at this crap?" Well, yeah, I _do_ have better things to do... but that didn't stop me from reading the latest on Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber (am I the only one who thinks he looks like a 10-year-old girl?).