Re: Annual Land Value Tax (LVT)

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2006
      Re: Annual Land Value Tax (LVT)

      CHEERS Kent,
      I'm travelling to Oxford today for a couple of meetings so am not in my London office but I'll ask my PA Vicky to send you my article on transport funding, urban sprawl and justice when she gets into the office in about 2 hours time.

      In this article I  refer to Annual Land Value Tax as Location Benefit Levy (LBL) because LVT is in fact a sharing of land rent between landowners and the community so that LBL describes a Levy on the unearned wealth (the Benefit)  that landowners enjoy simply because of the value of the Location of their site created by others.

      I've only visited Shanghai once and am not familiar with the land ownership/distribution system in China. I do advocate the Hong Kong system of leasing land but even that is not perfect as it still leaves much unearned land wealth in the hands of leaseholders.

      I'd welcome information re China's land policy and any views you may have on the ideas in the article.
      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL