VC and LVT: Two hours with the mayor

  • eric britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2013

    We are launching a new program, this time under the title WORLD STREETS EDITIONS - THE POLITICS OF TRANSPORTATION . The objective is to produce a series of short, highly readable, perfectly balanced and dead cheap pocketbooks which tackle key and invariably rather complex topics, measures and policies which our mayors need to better understand and eventually put to work for their city. This program is, I hope, reasonably well introduced in the attached note.

    Now in the field that is our focus -- transport in cities, and sustainable transport and social justice at that -- has for the most part failed to take advantage of one of the most powerful economic tools at our disposal for financing future developments in the sector, i.e., VALUE CAPTURE AND LVT. (How could we have been so dumb?)

    Don't you think that our series should include at least one smoking title which explains to the mayor in simple and engaging English how she and her city can put value capture to work for financing successive rounds of public investment in the sector? I certainly do, and I would like to have your counsel on how best to do a great job of this short book or long essay (anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 words in all).

    One idea that comes to mind, when I think of the exceptional knowledge and vision that is embodied (and sometime buried, eh?) in this group, and that is to find a way to CROWDSOURCE it. Now I have to admit that I have no clear  idea of what this actually means, but the thought  is appealing. As well as that of a message coming from a group as wise and dedicated (and diverse) as this.

    And just to be sure:  it's not about VC or LVT per se; it's about what mayors need to know to put VC to work. And we have two hours with the mayor to do the job.

    Please share your thoughts with me on this.

    Thank you.

    Eric Britton

      Francis  Eric Knight Britton, Managing Director /  Editor

      World Streets  |  New Mobility Consult | 2013 Work Program | W/S on Facebook   | Zetabytes

      9, rue Gabillot   69003 Lyon France  |  T. +339 8326 9459| M. +336 5088 0787  | E. eric.britton@...   S. newmobility