Re: More Disgusting Tax Policies

  • mattbieker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" wrote:

      > http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/business/economy/companies-exploit-tax-break-for-asset-exchanges-trial-evidence-shows.html?exprod=myyahoo&_r=0
      >
      > But, hey, the realtors say the rules "create jobs"--so naturally nobody will touch their subsidies!

      <i>"Even as the debate over the tax break continues, there is a deep conviction in the real estate business that it is justified. Advocates for the real estate industry say that a large majority of transactions are conducted in strict compliance with I.R.S. regulations. Because the asset exchanges spur investment and help create jobs, industry officials say they would strenuously oppose any effort to end them.
      "Historically, these exchanges are a very important consideration for a very important segment of the economy," said Jeffrey D. DeBoer, chief executive of the Real Estate Roundtable. "I have no reason to believe that Congress won't ultimately recognize that."</i>
      Oh my gawd. It's a crying shame comments aren't enabled on that article. Good find. It really tells you all you need to know about the state of economics that the "argument" made by DeBoer can even be made without fear of being jeered from all sides.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" wrote:

        > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" wrote:
        > >
        > > http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/business/economy/companies-exploit-tax-break-for-asset-exchanges-trial-evidence-shows.html?exprod=myyahoo&_r=0
        >
        > "Historically, these exchanges are a very important consideration for a very important segment of the economy," said Jeffrey D. DeBoer, chief executive of the Real Estate Roundtable. "I have no reason to believe that Congress won't ultimately recognize that."
        >
        > Oh my gawd. It's a crying shame comments aren't enabled on that article. Good find. It really tells you all you need to know about the state of economics that the "argument" made by DeBoer can even be made without fear of being jeered from all sides.

        There is a handful of economists who are willing to consider facts related to taxation, but the corporate-owned media simply aren't allowed to mention alternatives to taxing production and exchange.

        The thing is, when you start with an unjust and economically harmful tax, mitigating the harm for one segment of the economy is easy to justify, even when it is inevitably done at the expense of other segments. Like, the exchange of labor for wages somehow ISN'T "a very important consideration for a very important segment of the economy"???