Re: Marx, Engel and Morris on George +Milton Keynes

    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 25, 2012

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
      >
      > > If the union (i) signs up all the employees in some area with agreements that prohibit any of its members from working for anybody that won't collectively bargain with the union; and (ii) prohibits all the employers with whom it deals from hiring any non-member employees, will there much difference from a statute that requires collective bargaining?
      >
      > Of course: the employers need not agree, and I suspect most would not.

      If the union had ALL the workers signed up (as in the hypothetical), if they didn't agree they'd go out of business.

      > > Is there rent-seeking behavior or a reduction in the productive use of resources in one case and not the other?
      >
      > Likely in both cases. These are, after all, agreements in restraint of trade, which aren't (mostly) illegal for nothing.

      I don't understand this. I believe you had suggested earlier that no laws should be made to make such voluntary contractual agreements illegal.

      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 30, 2012
        It all depends on what you are writing and who will be the reader.

        Unfortunately, modern schooling isn't great at producing readers so material must be made simple for them. Which point doesn't throw out other writing which may be more complicated as it conveys more subtle directions..

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > However, I suppose the short sentence is now
        > the thing, which may or may not be an improvement.

        Harry, tabloid newspapers use short sentences. People are familiar with that. So, you have to write to what they can easily understand. If they have to do double-takes they lose interest. It is that simple. Churchill realised that a long time ago. His books on WW2 and super easy to understand. The proof readers would highlight parts of the book(s) and he would override them. In the end they thanked him for teaching them how to write simple English.