Re: Marx, Engel and Morris on George +Milton Keynes

    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 19, 2012

      > The barriers to entry in the now privatised UK railroad service are not " astronomically high" as you assert:

      It was I who asserted it, and yes, they are.

      > you do not have to pay for the track up front and you lease the rolling-stock off a large company (though this has been accused of anti-competitive practices itself).

      But it's nevertheless simply not practical to offer rail service on a small scale without paying astronomical up-front costs (even disregarding the leasing company's anti-competitive practices).

      > So RL, if you are not content with George's Land Tax, what do you have to say about his solution of putting natural monoplies into public ownership?

      As there is no benefit from competition, public ownership is the natural way to provide such services. But strict safeguards are needed to ensure the public providers don't abuse their monopoly status, such as by unionized employees' rent seeking.

      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 30, 2012
        It all depends on what you are writing and who will be the reader.

        Unfortunately, modern schooling isn't great at producing readers so material must be made simple for them. Which point doesn't throw out other writing which may be more complicated as it conveys more subtle directions..

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > However, I suppose the short sentence is now
        > the thing, which may or may not be an improvement.

        Harry, tabloid newspapers use short sentences. People are familiar with that. So, you have to write to what they can easily understand. If they have to do double-takes they lose interest. It is that simple. Churchill realised that a long time ago. His books on WW2 and super easy to understand. The proof readers would highlight parts of the book(s) and he would override them. In the end they thanked him for teaching them how to write simple English.