Re: Marx, Engel and Morris on George +Milton Keynes

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 19, 2012

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "k_r_johansen" wrote:
      >
      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "walto" wrote:
      >
      > Me:
      >
      > Already happened here in Mass. They just got a little kiss for throwing enough biz. here to qualify for sales tax status.
      >
      > KJ:
      >
      > There you go. Was it "jobs" that did it or just any of the other BS words for handing out favours?
      >

      > Me:
      >
      > Amazon is in a great bargaining position. The retailer and union lobbies want the state to put sales taxes on Amazon purchases to "level the playing field." But the only way that can happen is if Amazon has some sort of "significant presence" in the state. Naturally, that company will come only the bribe is sufficient. And you can't entirely blame them, since they'll now have to collect taxes on sales to Mass. residences--and those sales will be decreased because of the very taxes their presence here is enabling.
      >
      > It's a rotten business, and one born of a particularly regressive and economy-dulling tax.

      Have you consdered a uniform cross-state VAT? Sure, it creates the same misery, but it does it evenly over the whole economy, making business equally non-viable everywhere ;)

      Kj
      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 30, 2012
        It all depends on what you are writing and who will be the reader.

        Unfortunately, modern schooling isn't great at producing readers so material must be made simple for them. Which point doesn't throw out other writing which may be more complicated as it conveys more subtle directions..

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > However, I suppose the short sentence is now
        > the thing, which may or may not be an improvement.

        Harry, tabloid newspapers use short sentences. People are familiar with that. So, you have to write to what they can easily understand. If they have to do double-takes they lose interest. It is that simple. Churchill realised that a long time ago. His books on WW2 and super easy to understand. The proof readers would highlight parts of the book(s) and he would override them. In the end they thanked him for teaching them how to write simple English.