Re: [LandCafe] Re: Licenses....

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2012
      Think in terms not of taxing but of charging, John.

      We pay the same amount to keep the roads in good shape for our day to day activities which are about the same for all of us. However, if more than an approximately equal use is being made of the roads - perhaps the behemoths that carry our goods and tend to chew up the asphalt - then an additional charge seems appropriate. Maybe it is most easily calculated and charged as an addition on every litre of petrol they use. This would also handle the taxis too as they are constantly using petrol. But, I don't like the use of the term taxing which carries the connotation of coercion.

      The same applies in other areas such as pollution. We all have an equal right to the air. If you want more than an equal right by filling the air with guck, then you will have to compensate the rest of us.

      Some time ago, Chemical Engineering had a piece on installing meters on the outflows into rivers from factories. As I recall they measured the salinity and other things and charged accordingly. Before long, they reported, the effluent going into the river was cleaner than the river.

      You'll note that rent collection is actually a charge. You pay for what you get. (Although some posts treat it as a tax that rises and falls according to some need or the other - ugh!)

      You'll also note I translated from American gallons of gas to British litres of petrol thereby proving I'm multilingual.

      On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

      The streets are commonwealth. They belong to us all. Charging a license for a taxi cab to use our streets to make money is quite right. A carpenter may have a van, which is essential for his work, but the work is not undertaken on the streets, it is on premises off the street. He uses the streets as a transport artery. He pays taxes of some sort in fuel or whatever to run his van on the common streets and rightly no license to practise his craft.

      Amazon hire companies who have fleets of vans to deliver their products. They take a product from Amazon and deliver it to an address. This is exactly the same as function as a taxi cab. One delivers people from one location to another and the other products. None make their money off the road as the carpenter does. Delivery vans should also require a license.