Re: Marx, Engel and Morris on George

    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 12, 2012

      Tremendous harm is done by the private monopolization of natural resources. For one thing, it has required harmful taxes on productivity to make up the lost revenue.

      This is society shooting itself in the foot. It neglects to reclaim revenue gained from commonly owned or commonly generated sources. Then to fill the gap penalizes the productive. The productive are the ones we least need or want to penalize.
      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 30, 2012
        It all depends on what you are writing and who will be the reader.

        Unfortunately, modern schooling isn't great at producing readers so material must be made simple for them. Which point doesn't throw out other writing which may be more complicated as it conveys more subtle directions..

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > However, I suppose the short sentence is now
        > the thing, which may or may not be an improvement.

        Harry, tabloid newspapers use short sentences. People are familiar with that. So, you have to write to what they can easily understand. If they have to do double-takes they lose interest. It is that simple. Churchill realised that a long time ago. His books on WW2 and super easy to understand. The proof readers would highlight parts of the book(s) and he would override them. In the end they thanked him for teaching them how to write simple English.