Re: Marx, Engel and Morris on George

    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 12, 2012
      > The point is that landowning, whether private or public, removes people's liberty to use the land. Absent a UIE, that will reduce them to offering their labor on any terms just to survive, whether rent is recovered for public purposes and benefit or pocketed by private landowners.
      >
      > -- Roy Langston

      I think you here downplay the crucial importance of recovering rent for public purposes that is now pocketed by private landowners. Remember, in the absence of a UIE, those public purpose might include a Citizen's Dividend which, as you have often conceded, could do nearly what a universal personal exemption would do ("next best"). I too endorse a UE based on your arguments, but I think one must be careful not to derogate the LVT in any case. Tremendous harm is done by the private monopolization of natural resources. For one thing, it has required harmful taxes on productivity to make up the lost revenue.

      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 30, 2012
        It all depends on what you are writing and who will be the reader.

        Unfortunately, modern schooling isn't great at producing readers so material must be made simple for them. Which point doesn't throw out other writing which may be more complicated as it conveys more subtle directions..

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > However, I suppose the short sentence is now
        > the thing, which may or may not be an improvement.

        Harry, tabloid newspapers use short sentences. People are familiar with that. So, you have to write to what they can easily understand. If they have to do double-takes they lose interest. It is that simple. Churchill realised that a long time ago. His books on WW2 and super easy to understand. The proof readers would highlight parts of the book(s) and he would override them. In the end they thanked him for teaching them how to write simple English.