Re: Marx, Engel and Morris on George

  • derekrss
    Message 1 of 87 , Dec 11, 2012
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...> wrote:
      > To me it appears Marx never thought of what George thought through, which was only based on others before him. Marx concentrated near 100% on Capital as the problem that created grinding poverty. I am sure he did recognize in the end what George made millions aware of, as he was a highly intelligent man, however it would have reversed most of his life's work. Fred Harrison did pick up on that Marx did understand land, but he gave it so little coverage that amounted only to a few lines here and there.
      >
      > Fred Harrison did a critique, in a newspaper or mag, on Marx. Does anyone know where it is on the web?

      You can find it at

      http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0002-9246.2003.00264.x/abstract

      Cheers
      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 30, 2012
        It all depends on what you are writing and who will be the reader.

        Unfortunately, modern schooling isn't great at producing readers so material must be made simple for them. Which point doesn't throw out other writing which may be more complicated as it conveys more subtle directions..

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:55 AM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

        > However, I suppose the short sentence is now
        > the thing, which may or may not be an improvement.

        Harry, tabloid newspapers use short sentences. People are familiar with that. So, you have to write to what they can easily understand. If they have to do double-takes they lose interest. It is that simple. Churchill realised that a long time ago. His books on WW2 and super easy to understand. The proof readers would highlight parts of the book(s) and he would override them. In the end they thanked him for teaching them how to write simple English.