Will Hutton - Observer, Sunday 30th July

  • Jock Coats
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2006
      Olympic funding gap should be filled by LVT or the Permanent
      Secretary to the Treasury and half his senior staff should be
      shackled to the smelly derelict barge currently on the stinking River
      Lea and the keys thrown away...:)

      http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/comment/0,,1833427,00.html?
      gusrc=rss&feed=19

      It's now a race against the penny-pinchers

      If the government wants the Olympics and the regeneration of east
      London to be a success, it must practise enlightened financial thinking

      Will Hutton
      Sunday July 30, 2006
      The Observer

      The smell of sewage in the 50 yards of canal path before you arrive
      at Old Ford locks - junction of the River Lea and the Hackney Cut on
      the River Lea Navigation - is overpowering. Don't breathe in too
      deeply; at this intensity, it's almost certainly toxic. Across the
      canal, there are derelict warehouses and a single, desultory barge.
      Ahead there is the outfall sewer that conducts most of London's
      sewage to the treatment plant in Beckton. This is the shittiest part
      of London - in every sense of the term.

      It is also where the futuristic stadium is to be built for the
      Olympics in 2012 that will form the centre of the Olympic park and
      village. We've all read the hype about the bid, its ambition and how
      it's going to transform London. It's only when you walk around the
      site as it stands that the realisation dawns. What is being planned
      deserves the hype.

      The Lea Valley, especially the parts around Stratford, East and West
      Ham and Hackney, is a disgrace and makes the dereliction in parts of
      the north of England and Scotland look tame. Where I was walking is
      about two miles from the City of London, one of the richest urban
      areas in the world, yet here everything is poor. The tracts of
      derelict land crisscrossed by overhead power lines, disused canals
      and sewage drains; the lack of infrastructure; the low incomes; the
      disastrous health experience; low life expectancy - everything is a
      tribute to neglect.

      The Olympics could change all that. The ambition both for the games
      and how to use the new site afterwards can hardly be faulted. London
      has learned from the experience of other Olympic cities, notably
      Athens, where ideas of what to do with the Olympic site were
      canvassed as the games closed. What has been built into the plans
      from the outset is a post-games vision for how the Olympic park and
      associated new infrastructure are to become the trigger for the
      biggest urban regeneration scheme mounted in Europe.

      The problem is whether our national political, business and official
      classes will have the chutzpah to follow through. The British are not
      good at grand projets, as the French dub them. We don't have the
      imagination, the belief in the new, the political structures to make
      them happen or the willingness to pay up. The Olympics is a
      magnificent chance to create a precedent that would allow Britain to
      break out of this negativity - and find ways of embracing the new
      and, especially, of financing it. Much more is at stake than mounting
      a successful sports event for a fortnight.

      In fairness, it has taken a degree of chutzpah to get this far - Tony
      Blair, Tessa Jowell and Sebastian Coe all deserve credit for taking
      the risk. But the tipping point in making the bid successful was that
      London had a political structure that could offer the Olympic
      Committee some guarantee that the promises would happen, crucially on
      transport. The Mayor of London and his creation, Transport for London
      (TfL), were critical. Ken Livingstone could promise extra cash. And
      plans to move half-a-million people to the site every day, at times
      on a train service with four trains per minute, were only credible
      because TfL's track record is good enough to make them believable.

      Yet everything could founder over an emerging funding gap of between
      £1bn and £2bn - chickenfeed besides the wealth that will be generated
      if the lower Lea Valley can be turned round from a de-industrialised,
      stagnant mess to the forefront of the knowledge economy. That is what
      the plans entail and it's the only way to revitalise this part of
      London.

      For it's not as though improvement has not been attempted before. A
      new business park, an imposing block of cleverly designed flats and
      the creation of walk and cycle ways along the towpaths are all
      evidence of efforts at change. The trouble is that they make a tiny
      impact when the whole area is so run-down. The only solution is a
      development encompassing everything.

      For if the Olympics go as planned, east London will be left with a
      new park to join St James's and Hyde Park; the infrastructure for a
      new university campus; a network of world-class sporting facilities;
      first-class transport links and land cleared for 40,000 new homes.
      This will be the core of a new half-a-million-strong city within London.

      Which brings me back to money. Tickets, television rights,
      sponsorship, the lottery and even an Olympic surcharge on London
      ratepayers have all been stretched to the limit. More is needed. The
      Treasury refuses additional help. Without some imagination, the
      Olympic vision will be the casualty. The answer is obvious. If the
      games go as planned, there will be a huge increase in land values and
      property prices throughout east London. If the government could
      capture just a fraction of the increase in those land and property
      prices, then it could more than repay any bonds it issued today to
      pay for the games.

      The Chancellor praises entrepreneurs; now is the moment for Treasury
      officials to practise what they preach. What they have to do is
      invent a way the government can capture some of the wider gain that
      its own development is creating. We could copy the Americans and tax
      the incremental gain. We could insist that private developers form
      public-private partnerships, with the development gains earmarked to
      repay Olympic bonds. What we cannot do is to penny-pinch and roll
      back the ambition.

      It is a pivotal moment. We have to find a way of breaking out of the
      self-defeating logic that all Britain can afford in any public
      development is what the taxpayer stumps up, while private developers
      pocket the benefit. That way, we always build small. You only have to
      smell the sewage at Old Ford locks and gaze at the desolation to see
      the results.

      The Olympics must be funded as imaginatively as the project has been
      devised and the precedent then used across the country. If not, we
      should shackle the permanent secretary of the Treasury along with a
      clutch of Treasury ministers to the derelict barge in the stinking
      Hackney cut. And throw away the key.

      --
      Jock Coats - Secretary, Lib Dems ALTER
      (Action for Land-value Taxation and Economic Reform)