Re: [LandCafe] Re: Four Horsemen

    Message 1 of 90 , Dec 6, 2012
      John,

      Georgists oppose all privileges of which the 'land privilege' is the most basic.

      George pointed out that LVT was a true reform because it made all other reforms easier to achieve.

      On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM, John <burns-john@...> wrote:

      > Maybe Ashcroft's problem with "Georgists" is that they do indeed cleave too closely to George's analysis, where land is the only thing worth talking about. I'd estimate that banksters' privilege of issuing debt money and IP monopolists' privilege of privatizing knowledge and ideas that are in the public domain each account for about 10% of GDP -- or together, about as much as land rent. Ignoring those rent seeking sectors just because they were so much smaller in George's day is not going to fly with people who understand what is going on. That is another reason why "Georgism" -- the personality cult of Henry George -- has become an impediment to effective thought and action.
      >
      > -- Roy Langston

      With George everything falls onto LAND. Capturing land values is very important, however, not all unearned income comes from land. Wealth is in other commonly owned aspects which should also be captured.

      George is important but go and on only about land and people think you are mad.

      Message 90 of 90 , Feb 1 9:01 PM
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "harrypollard" wrote:

        > So why not say they are changing systematically?

        "Inflation" is shorter and more descriptive.

        > How does calling rising prices inflation help to "understand how, when and why"?

        Having a label and definition for the concept helps people share information about it.

        > Whereas inflation in its original meaning indicates that the money issuer has done something.

        Maybe that's part of it: the apologists for bankster privilege want to conceal the fact that it is private commercial banks that are issuing the money, not government.