Re: Four Horsemen

    Message 1 of 90 , Dec 3, 2012
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "mattbieker" <agrarian.justice@...> wrote:

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@> wrote:
      >
      > > Ross Ashcroft said:
      > > "Georgists are a rabid bunch who put off more people than they take on-board"
      >
      > Sigh. I can see that there's definitely some truth to that, but he's far to glib. My retort to that? Oh, yeah, and goldbugs are known as exemplars of rationality. *rolls eyes*

      Maybe Ashcroft's problem with "Georgists" is that they do indeed cleave too closely to George's analysis, where land is the only thing worth talking about. I'd estimate that banksters' privilege of issuing debt money and IP monopolists' privilege of privatizing knowledge and ideas that are in the public domain each account for about 10% of GDP -- or together, about as much as land rent. Ignoring those rent seeking sectors just because they were so much smaller in George's day is not going to fly with people who understand what is going on. That is another reason why "Georgism" -- the personality cult of Henry George -- has become an impediment to effective thought and action.

      Message 90 of 90 , Feb 1, 2013
        --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "harrypollard" wrote:

        > So why not say they are changing systematically?

        "Inflation" is shorter and more descriptive.

        > How does calling rising prices inflation help to "understand how, when and why"?

        Having a label and definition for the concept helps people share information about it.

        > Whereas inflation in its original meaning indicates that the money issuer has done something.

        Maybe that's part of it: the apologists for bankster privilege want to conceal the fact that it is private commercial banks that are issuing the money, not government.