Re: UK land values was How do we get Turkeys to vote for Xmas/Thanksgiving?

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 28, 2012

      > If one is going to work out a system with exemption/discount (or even
      > benefits - like council tax has for low income, there are benefits
      > calculators which could be modified EG,
      > http://www.wycombe.gov.uk/benefits_calculator/wbc-xpSp12/wbc-xpSp12.htm ),
      > you've got to have the data.
      >
      > I think it would be pretty straight forward to work about benefits
      > calculator (for individuals and/or households) that would do the trick.
      > That is something that falls somewhere between a Universal Individual (or
      > household) Exemption and a CD for the unemployment or working poor not
      > making a living wage.
      >
      > So a straight tax on on land and then benefits (which would be like the
      > housing allocation benefit that the council tax has as I think I understand
      > it. (which might only be to ameliorate a portion of the land value tax).

      Exactly. There are so many benefits and separate taxes in the UK system that there are countless ways of sneaking in a LVT/UIE without anyone noticing. They already have council tax benefit, and for the working population, you could do it as a straight deduction from income taxes exactly equal council benefit. Revalue residental properties, add new bands to council-tax and base it more on land values, steer business rates towards the same valuation method, and they're practically there.

      Kj

      Kj