Re: [LandCafe] Land value UK

  • Scott Bergeson
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 28, 2012
      Quoting John David Kromkowski on Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:06:59 -0500:

      ___k_r_johansen___
      The VOA AFAIK only makes frequent assessment with regards to those premises
      that are subject to business rates (commercial property). They are responsible
      for the valuations for council tax, but they haven't been done for a while.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valuation_Office_Agency#Revaluations

      ___JDK___
      The point is that it is a starting place.

      An interesting history about the Finance Act of 1910! The footnote
      takes you to the National Archives where you can apparently look at the
      maps from then. I don't see the sourcing in the wikipedia, but it is
      interesting that the land value tax was abolished in the 1920 and that
      the UK actually had a land value tax! Although, the history elsewhere it
      looks like it was more of a transfer tax than an annual ad valorem tax.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finance_Act#Finance_Act_1910

      What about total land value in 1910 times inflation rate for the last 100
      years (http://www.whatsthecost.com/historic.cpi.aspx ) as a guestimation!
      -----

      Should at least somewhat track product of GDP
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_by_past_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

      GDP (PPP) per capita in 1990 International Dollars*
      Country 1 1000 1500 1600 1700 1820 1870 1913 1950 1973 2003
      UK 400 400 714 974 1,250 1,706 3,190 4,921 6,939 12,025 21,310

      and population.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_England

      * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geary%E2%80%93Khamis_dollar

      Adjusting that to current "pounds sterling"
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling
      ("Pounds" of what? They (BOE) claim they maintain par
      redemption in sterling silver? "Sterling silver is an alloy
      of silver containing 92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by mass
      of other metals, usually copper.") may present some challenge.

      Actual dollar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaler
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guldengroschen
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 1, 2012

        > There is an enormous amount of urban land of all values which is presently held out of use at rack-rent (or higher) prices.

        It is held out of use in the hope of rezoning windfalls, which permitting development and use at the current permitted density would likely scotch for decades. As long as the long-term economic growth rate exceeds the tax rate, owning land increases the owner's net worth, so there is no reason to take a chance by permitting productive use.

        > Such holdings would become
        > available to producers and other users with adoption of full land Rent
        > collection and Rents would topple to a point where they would accurately
        > reflect the advantage provided by the surrounding population.

        Rents already reflect that advantage, so they would not topple.

        > You agree with me that present land rent is a 'monopoly rent'. I happen to
        > call it rack-rent because that seems to me to be an appropriate term.

        It's not appropriate, because what you are talking about is in fact rent.

        > Your peculiar opposition to this seems to stem from your mistaken belief that
        > with full Rent collection, rack-rent would remain. In fact, as I have stated, it would disappear.

        No, YOUR peculiar theory stems from your mistaken belief that rent is rack-rent.

        > I don't know where you got your land-value taxation ideas from, but you treat it as simply a good way to tax.

        My UIE proposal proves that claim false. LVT is essential to equal human rights.

        > The real intention of collecting Rent
        > (popularly, land-value taxing) is to produce a genuine equality of
        > conditions for all, replacing the present rigged economy which condemns the
        > less able to poverty and the more able to a lifetime of paying rack-rent.

        No, the real intention is to restore the EQUAL RIGHTS of all to life, liberty, and property in the fruits of their labor, relieving the poverty of the less able by ensuring they have free, secure access to economic opportunity, and enabling the more able to rise as high as their productive contributions will carry them by relieving them of the burden of supporting the greedy, privileged, parasitic landowning overclass in exorbitant luxury. I am much more aware of that intention than you, as your opposition to my UIE proposal shows.

        > The object of full Rent collection is to take the first step towards
        > 'Liberty and Justice for All'. Reducing this to a simple tax advocacy diminishes its importance as a genuine reform.
        >
        > But, you probably know that.

        I do indeed.