Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 26, 2012

      > I know that genuine walkers might protest, but the vast majority of people seem unconcerned with contrived "greenness".

      Harry is correct. Even here in Vancouver, one of the most outdoor-active cities in the world, few people take advantage of the many public parks and other facilities. In a city that has nearly the least affordable housing in the world, there are actually half a dozen full-size, 18-hole golf courses -- but you see about as many people per hectare in the fully public Pacific Spirit Park (hundreds of hectares in size) as you do on a typical golf course, where they've paid green fees of $50 and up to be there.

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.