Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 26, 2012

      > What has interested me over the years is the
      > lack of people on the common.
      > One can walk for miles barely meeting a soul.
      > At weekends there are picnickers who settle not
      > far from the parking lot, but people plumbing
      > the delights of fields and woods are a rarity.

      "The vast majority of the British people have no right whatsoever to their native land save to walk the streets or trudge the roads"
      – Henry George.

      Harry, I know little of the English countryside. I have effectively been kept out. My view of it is largely from car windows.  The only time I have any experience of it is in village pubs. I spent 3 years in the Middle East and have walked more on desert sand than green English fields.

      The subsidised green fields of the UK - much of them are paid to remain idle by taxpayers money while cramming the population into 7.5% of the land. Most people are excluded from living in the countryside, it mainly being the preserve of the rich.  I tried living there once but the prices were out of my reach.  I tried to buy land in all the empty fields to build an eco home - none was available.

      77% of the population of 60 million live on only 5.8% of the land, about 3.5 million acres (total 60 million). The countryside is empty because we are barred from it.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.