Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 26, 2012
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

      > Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:
      >
      > ___Harry___
      > if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
      > which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
      > to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
      > -----
      >
      > Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
      > concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
      > most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
      > switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

      The conquered German countries in WW2 were a liability as they imported great quantities of animal feeds, grains, cereals and fuel pre WW2. This supply was now blockaded by the Royal Navy, with Germany having to give Holland, France, Denmark, etc some of their short rations. Denmark and Holland in 1940 slaughtered 1000s of animals as they could not feed them as the animal feed came from North America.

      Phosphate is used for explosives and fertilizer. The Germans used it mainly for explosives and neglected the land making the food situation worse.

      The Germans attempted to starve out the UK in WW2 by U-Boats. However the massive UK merchant fleet and shipyards replacing old and sunk ships, later backed up by the US yards, always got the supplies through. They could replace ships faster than the Germans could sink them.

      56% of Germans were engaged in agriculture - which was a hopelessly dire and backward industry. If they had concentrated on improved agriculture via their engineers instead of developing and making arms, then maybe WW2 would not have come about. But the notions of a madman can never be taken into account.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.