Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 25, 2012

      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "k_r_johansen" <kjetil.r.johansen@...> wrote:

      > Well exactly. I didn't say there isn't land for urban expansion. But
      > neither is there any reason to believe farming won't be present any more
      > either. The difference with NZ is that a hypothetical doubling of built
      > land wouldn't impact as much farmland as in the UK. And turning land
      > close to urban areas into forests, is a political decision, as forestry
      > is less productive than farming on the same area basis.

      Even doubling the urban footprint in the UK to accommodate 120 million people, still will not impact farming land to a large degree. As I previously wrote, currently if real economics was applied to the UK, 27% of the land mass would be released. If the population was doubled then farming land would be more in demand. But that is all hypothetical.

      Far too much land is given over to agriculture, about 78%, which only accounts for about 2.5% of the  UK economy. The last time I looked the largest in Europe. In the meantime we all live in tiny hyper-expensive boxes.

      Forests near urban areas is a good thing for social purposes. Maybe the ridiculous Green Belts can be mainly forest.

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.