  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 25 4:12 AM
      Well exactly. I didn't say there isn't land for urban expansion. But neither is there any reason to believe farming won't be present any more either. The difference with NZ is that a hypothetical doubling of built land wouldn't impact as much farmland as in the UK. And turning land close to urban areas into forests, is a political decision, as forestry is less productive than farming on the same area basis.

      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "John" <burns-john@...> wrote:
      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, "k_r_johansen" kjetil.r.johansen@
      > wrote:
      > > (UK is dense, NZ is not,
      > > Re UK land use. It is unlikely that > what farming land there is in
      > the UK would > entirely be turned over to houses and > forests upon
      > abolishment of the CAP.
      > The above two points are myth. The UK is NOT small. Contrary to popular
      > belief the UK has a land surplus. There is so much land we could not
      > build houses on it all. If all cities, towns and villages were twice the
      > size only 15% of the land would be settled. The UK population is spoon
      > fed that the UK is small, short of land and the countryside should be
      > kept green for
       no apparent reason. Near hatred of anything urban is
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.