    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 25, 2012
      --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:
      > Quoting John on Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:44:17 -0000:
      > ___Harry Pollard___
      > A principal advantage of free trade is that
      > it binds countries together - it's anti-war.
      > ___John___
      > We had a sort of free trade, then a world-wide crash came in
      > 1929. There was need, there was skilled labour, but the broken
      > system could not bring them together. Then the likes of Hitler
      > came about. The secret is stopping the world-wide crashes and
      > other boom and busts. Geonomics can stop that as we all know.
      > -----
      > The primary cause was the unpayable war debt from the Great War.
      > Apparently the Bank of England and the Federal Reserve expected
      > Germany to extract sufficient gold from seawater to pay the demanded
      > "reparations", which they'd in turn use to pay their war bonds.

      The cause for the 2008 crash is self evident - money was being poured into tax free gains on land. Land was the root cause. The 1929 has many interpretations and as in 2008, land was never pointed to as the root cause - which it was.

      Jeff Smith:

      11. New York City, 1920s. After World War I, many New Yorkers suffered from lack of housing. To solve the problem, Governor Al Smith borrowed a page from Henry George (who ran for mayor of New York City in 1886, finishing second ahead of Teddy Roosevelt, and again in 1897, dying four days before the election). Smith persuaded the New York legislature to pass a law allowing New York City for the next ten years to tax land but not the buildings on it.

      New construction more than tripled while in other big cities it barely doubled. Not only was there more housing, and thus lower cost apartments, there were more jobs and higher wages for construction workers, and more business for merchants who sold goods to the employed workers.

      Economic good times in New York came to an end, though, when owners in 1928 began to anticipate the expiration of the tax-shift law. ("How New York Solved Its Housing Crisis", Charles Johnson Post, 1931?, Schalkenbach Fdn, Mason Gaffney, 2001) Some say that the drastic decline in building starts, not the stock market crash of 1929, was the real trigger of the Great Depression of the 1930s. Other geonomists say it was the Dust Bowl, the collapse of the agrarian sector of the economy.

      Economist Fred Harrison....
      "Any good economist will tell you, as people's real disposable incomes rise, that money ends up in one place, and one place only, the LAND MARKET. As there is growth land values rise, and it should rise. Except, the problem occurred when that increase in value went into private pockets instead of going into services: highways, hospitals, schools and so on, that created that value in the first place"
      "This is the sources of our problem, not bankers, big bonuses, sub-prime mortgages in America and the other excuses they have. This is the heart of the problem of the market economy, we have to address it. There has to be political consensus, there has to consensus, with no body playing party politics"
      The above is at. 3 min 35 secs

      Even wiki points to land as the root cause...

      There was also a real estate and housing bubble in the 1920s, especially in Florida, which burst in 1925. Alvin Hansen stated that housing construction during the 1920s decade exceeded population growth by 25%. See also:Florida land boom of the 1920s

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_land_boom_of_the_1920s .......

      The story includes many parallels to the modern real estate boom, including the forces of outside speculators, easy credit access for buyers, and rapidly-appreciating property values

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.