Re: [LandCafe] CAP

  • Scott Bergeson
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 24, 2012
      Quoting John on Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:44:17 -0000:

      ___Harry Pollard___
      A principal advantage of free trade is that
      it binds countries together - it's anti-war.

      ___John___
      We had a sort of free trade, then a world-wide crash came in
      1929. There was need, there was skilled labour, but the broken
      system could not bring them together. Then the likes of Hitler
      came about. The secret is stopping the world-wide crashes and
      other boom and busts. Geonomics can stop that as we all know.
      -----

      The primary cause was the unpayable war debt from the Great War.
      Apparently the Bank of England and the Federal Reserve expected
      Germany to extract sufficient gold from seawater to pay the demanded
      "reparations", which they'd in turn use to pay their war bonds.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.