New edited and abridged edition of Henry George's "Progress and Poverty" by Bob Drake of Chicago and published by the Robert Schalkenbach Foundation!

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2006
      New edited and abridged edition of Henry George's "Progress and Poverty" by Bob Drake of Chicago and published by the Robert Schalkenbach Foundation!

      Bob Drake has taken several years and enlisted the help of many Georgist friends (not least the jazz singer Spider Saloff!)
      to produce this excellent book which is now less than half the size of George's  original and written in clearer, modern English, with shorter sentences  more attune to Time magazine than George's 19th Century original.

      THE miracle is that Bob has kept true faith to the tenets in George's original but hopefully, with your help and encouragement opened up George's truth to a whole new audience of those millions of people of goodwill who are trying to improve conditions for humankind on this planet but currently operate like star gazers without a telescope or motorists without a road map or signage! !

      I quote from Bob's modern version, (page 300) the passage that was read at Fred Wetzel's funeral, and which stirred the Vicar to contradict George and remind his congregation to only put their trust in Jesus and the Lord and not some 19th Century political land:-taxer like Henry George. A controversy that my Dad would have just loved and very ironic given George's Christian beliefs.

      " THE truth I have tried to show will not find easy acceptance. If that were possible, it would have been accepted long ago, and never obscured. But it will find friends who will suffer and toil for it; and if need be, die for it. This is the power of truth. Ultimately it will prevail. "

      It was only some years after the funeral that I found out that these same words are on the inscription of Henry George's headstone.

      Bob and his colleagues have created a wonderful tool for us to use - and so now the baton pases to is - so buy your copy now - NO  buy 3 copies and give away to a friends!

      For purchase details contact:
      www.schalkenbach.organisation
      and mention you read about Bob's book on the Land Café.
      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair TfL