Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 24, 2012

      > A principal advantage of free trade is
      > that it binds countries together -
      > it's anti-war.

      We had a sort of free trade, then a world-wide crash came in 1929. There was need, there was skilled labour, but the broken system could not bring them together. Then the likes of Hitler came about. The secret is stopping the world-wide crashes and other boom and busts. Geonomics can stop that as we all know.

      > To examine the warlike
      > tendencies of a nation, begin by
      > seeing if they are trying to make
      > themselves self-sufficient.

      Hitler's Germany was self-sufficient in coal and cheap low grade iron ores and little else. It could at a push be self-sufficient in agriculture, but only in basic foods. So Germany tried to be 100% self-sufficient by stealing land, killing the populations, as there were too many of them for him, and taking the resources of the land. A greater Germany populated by Germans up to the Urals would be very self-sufficient in just about everything. Like the USA is.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.