Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 24, 2012

      > The Vestey family might be said to stand
      > as representative of a strand of the laissez
      > faire modus operandi. (They still own cattle
      > ranches in Venezuela of all places). While not
      > paying any tax in the UK apparently (Wikipedia),
      > their Blue Star Line ships were yet protected
      > by the RN in WW1 which is supposed to have
      > drawn the ire of George V.

      The had ranches in Brazil, Venezuela, Australia, Argentina, Uruguay and New Zealand. Look up the Darwin rebellion in Australia.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Rebellion

      The Vesty's had an obsession about not paying tax. They avoided tax for decades. As we know LVT would have meant they paid tax. A family the city of Liverpool is not proud of.

      But they had quality ship and the Blue Star ships always looked classy.

      The Vesty's have angliss-international, who are in many countries.

      > Although it is easier to see the disadvantages
      > of importing and relying on cheap foreign
      > food :the destruction of UK farming, low industrial
      > wages (see Marx); physical deteroriation of the
      > population etc,

      In 1939 the UK only imported 30%of its food, but around 60-65% now. I see no reason why agriculture should be supported while others industries are not. I no reason why any industry should be subsidised in normal times.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.