Re: [LandCafe] CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 24, 2012
      Scott,

      When WWII began we were the principal customer of - if my memory serves me - 46 nations,

      In other words, 46 nations had a vested interest in supplying Britain - their economies depended on it.

      Further, if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals, which provide instant food while crops are being started (not to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).

      A principal advantage of free trade is that it binds countries together - it's anti-war. To examine the warlike tendencies of a nation, begin by seeing if they are trying to make themselves self-sufficient. (Of course, nowadays this could also be a policy advocated by potty economists and politicians.)

      As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably work all day in a field, then stop until next morning when they continue harvesting in the same field.

      Contrast that with little wheat fields in Britain producing less at a higher price. It's silly to contemplate.

      In California, which producers three quarters of the fruit and nuts for American consumers, you cannot see the other side of the fields, which stretch into the distance filled with trees or bushes loaded with good things.

      Of course the real problem is set out in Roy's post, with which you probably agree.

      On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

      Asks Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:24:53 -0800:

      ___David Reed___
      Although it is easier to see the disadvantages of
      importing and relying on cheap foreign food . . . . ":

      ___Harry___
      What are these disadvantages?
      -----

      Vulnerability to siege.

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.