Re: CAP

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 22, 2012
      BTW I meant "whether to allocate more land to building is a planning and political issue". Also read this article on ending subsidies in NZ. http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/features/0303/newzealand_subsidies.shtml
      Ending subsidies in NZ did take out a small amount of land, but largely it gave a boost to ag as a sector. The conditions are slightly different (UK is dense, NZ is not, UK doesn't export that much, NZ exports a *lot*), but largely I expect the outcome of abolishing the CAP to be similar.

      Kj

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.