Re: CAP

  • k_r_johansen
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 22, 2012
      Fair point.

      Subsidies are given as a Single Farm Payment, which is technically per hectare, but the payments are/were calculated on the basis of historical payments (that included animal herd, production-related subsidies). They are tradeable in most situations, which means if you buy ag land, you also buy the SFPs separately. There is "cross-compliance", which means that you have to meet certain standards (animal health/environmental stuff), to receive the payments.

      http://rpa.defra.gov.uk/rpa/index.nsf/UIMenu/FFFDD11D4803F7D580256F72003DD33D?Opendocument

      There is AFAIK just prodution quotas in the milk sector, which is meant to expire in 2015 (no quotas).
      There is also intervention storage for major commodities which is used if deemed necessary if the market prices go out of bounds (buys when prices are low, sells when prices are high).

      Kj

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.