Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 21, 2012

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, David Reed <dbcreed@> wrote:

      > > as opposed to the landed interest ( high
      > > agricultural prices) but Marx did not back
      > > the Manchester School Industrialists in their
      > > efforts to abolish the Corn Laws.
      >
      > Proving conclusively that the MSI were right,
      > and the Corn Laws should have been abolished.
      >
      > > He said cheap food would mean lower wages
      >
      > Proving conclusively that he did not understand the Law of Rent.

      Marx focussed on Capital being the problem. The appalling laws at the time did allow Capitalists to exploit the masses of uneducated poor for sure. But Marx largely ignored Land. He did write some small pieces on land that proved he was not wholly ignorant of Land, but I have the impression he understood land far too late in his research.

      In the UK many Capitalists who owned factories paid rent to landowners, so they were being ripped off as well.

      Fred Harrison note a few parts of Marx's writings. Marx wrote:

      "..the monopoly of property in land is even the basis of the monopoly of capital"

      Overturning the whole Marxist structure. The power was in the hands of the land monopolists - even Marx knew that.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.