Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 21, 2012

      > At the end of recent Wartime Farm programme on
      > BBC television,they briefly discussed post- WW2
      > plans: Labour wanted to continue with the highly
      > interventionist war-time measures for the country
      > to produce as much of its own food as possible:
      > Churchill wanted to go back to the reliance on
      > the world trade in food (which had reduced the UK
      > to producing only 30% of its own food pre-war).

      On this point.

      Cheap fast transportation (the steam ship and trains) had meant food could be transported between continents in the late 1800s. This also prevented European famines. An important point. By the late 1800s another Irish famine could never kill so many. Steamships laden with food from America could feed Ireland.

      The USA and Canada were pouring out cereals super cheap from the 1870s onwards which affected European agriculture setting it back. German, French and UK agriculture was mainly outdated to North America's. Global food production was in the hands of the USA and UK who used her sea lanes and massive merchant fleet to transport food - for animal and human consumption. People forget the important animal feed. Liverpool was a massive grain importing and processing centre, the second largest in the world.

      The two major world players in food were the UK & its empire and the USA. The US had a massive newly acquired land mass within its borders, the UKs land mass was dispersed around the world linked via its sea lanes and massive merchant fleet. The US used mainly the railways to link its large land mass, the UK used mainly ships.

      Both the USA and British Empire were self sufficient in food production. Both exported food. Germany had to import food from anywhere and increasingly so from North America. They were not in total control of feeding their people. This situation gave fuel to German expansion. German agriculture pre WW2 was dire and similar to Romania's. Hitler should have thought about improving agriculture rather than make bombs and tanks and steal land from the USSR to feed Germany.

      Food transportation between continents did not apply only to cereals. For e.g., Liverpool companies owned vast tracts of Argentina processing beef and transporting it to the UK and other European ports in refrigerated ships. The Vesty empire owned massive ranches, processing plants, rail lines, ports facilities and the shipping fleets to transport the meat products (Blue Star Line) - total vertical integration to the point they owned the shops it was sold in. Only oil companies ever achieved such total control of their products.

      British concerns were rich because of food, but not the British workers as little was produced in the UK pre WW2. Now we produce about 60-65% of the food, but at a very heavy cost to taxpayers in more ways than one - in taxes and the price at the till.
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.