RE: [LandCafe] Re: CAP

  • David Reed
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 21, 2012
      What I said about CAP is pretty accurate.THe House of Commons Library has a website for "Agriculture and CAP reform", author Christopher Barclay .It says "The Common Agricultural Policy (Cap) was reformed in 2003 with minor changes in the 'Health Check' in 2008.Individual schemes based on on high guaranteed prices for farmers were largely abandoned in favour of paying farmers a Single Farm Payment (SFP) based upon the area of the farm" But we won't know what the latest reformed arrangements will be until 2013.So it as well to sort out where land taxers stand on support for farmers in general terms and on principle (nothing too esoteric !).

      To: LandCafe@yahoogroups.com
      From: davewetzel42@...
      Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:46:03 +0000
      Subject: [LandCafe] Re: CAP

      I was asking for specific info' re CAP but as always the Land Café is incapable of providing facts but goes off at a tangent re esoteric arguments about agriculture in general and whether or not it is efficient.
      What I need to know is does the CAP pay farmers a quota based on the quantity produced or a fixed subsidy per acre irrespective of quantity produced?

       Dave Wetzel

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.