Re: CAP

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 19, 2012

      > --- In LandCafe@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wetzel <davewetzel42@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Can anyone describe the European Union's CAP
      > > (Common Agricultural Policy) in simple terms?
      >
      > A conveyor belt that carries tax revenue into landowners' pockets.

      About right. Approx 50% of the EU budget is allocated to the Common Agricultural Policy. CAP is supporting a lifestyle of a very small minority of country dwellers in a poor performing industry, agriculture. In effect that is its prime function.

      From wiki, for what it is worth...

      "The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) is a system of European Union agricultural subsidies and programmes. It represented 47% of the EU's budget, €50 billion in 2006.[1]

      The CAP combines a direct subsidy payment for crops and land which may be cultivated with price support mechanisms, including guaranteed minimum prices, import tariffs and quotas on certain goods from outside the EU. Reforms are currently underway reducing import controls and transferring subsidy to land stewardship rather than specific crop production (phased from 2004 to 2012). Detailed implementation of the scheme varies in different EU member countries."

      "Stewardship"? It is getting worse.

      http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-overview/2012_en.pdf

      An official blurb...

      The Common Agricultural Policy is the link between an increasingly urbanised world and an increasingly strategic farming sector. This is why I have proposed a new partnership between Europe and farmers based on a Common Agricultural Policy renewed as from 2013.

      This new partnership fits into the historical perspective of what is a top-level EU policy, one which recently celebrated its fiftieth anniversary and is described over the next few pages. It also reflects the desire to reshape the contract of confidence between European citizens and their farming sector based on the Common Agricultural Policy.

      Farming is closely associated with the challenges facing society, first and foremost among these of course being the food challenge. There is also the challenge posed by natural resources: these must be used with respect and in a responsible manner with the needs of future generations in mind. Lastly, there is the challenge posed by rural
      areas and the need to preserve the continuity of the farming sector in these areas, a need which is vital to our rural economies, our roots and our heritage. Europe needs its farmers. Farmers need Europe's support.

      Support will take the form of better targeted income support channelled towards active farmers and adjusted in an objective manner to meet the needs of each farming sector, especially the most vulnerable ones.

      It will involve the use of instruments to increase the economic and environmental competitiveness of farming. We need incentives to help farmers to adopt sustainable farming methods. We also need genuine modern, efficient and responsive safety nets to help us overcome the more and more serious and increasingly frequent crises which we are facing.

      This support also reflects the desire to bring life back to the countryside by providing increased resources to help young people set up in farming, with additional resources for research, innovation and the transfer of skills, and by investing in private and public
      infrastructure.

      Over the next few years it is essential to lay the foundations for a strong farming industry which can meet the challenges of climate change and international competition while fulfilling people's needs. The Common Agricultural Policy is about our food and the future of more than half the land area of the EU.

      Dacian Cioloş
      European Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development

      http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Common%2BAgricultural%2BPolicy

      Oxford Dictionary....
      Definition of Common Agricultural Policy:

      "the system in the EU for establishing common prices for most agricultural products within the European Union, a single fund for price supports, and levies on imports."

      http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/common-agricultural-policy
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2012
        The point is, Scott, that the little fields of Britain cannot compete with the mass production of the US.

        On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Scott Bergeson <scottb@...> wrote:

        Quoting Harry Pollard on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:06:15 -0800:

        ___Harry___
        if we import our bulk foods, farm land is given over to animals,
        which provide instant food while crops are being started (not
        to mention they improve fertility rather than use it up).
        -----

        Importing meat and animal feed needn't be a huge strategic
        concern, if you're willing, when besieged, to slaughter
        most of the animals (preserving the meat, of course) and
        switch to a primarily vegetarian diet.

        ___Harry___
        As you know, the combine harvesters in the US probably
        work all day in a field, then stop until next morning
        when they continue harvesting in the same field.
        -----

        Many of them have lights. Combines are a separate business
        from farming. They migrate, following the harvest.